We are going there. Time to talk poop -- one of my favourite topics. Seriously.
My attention to poop started when most people's attention to poop starts, when it's not going right. When we're all pooping it up without a care in the world, we hardly give it a second thought. It's one of those blessed activities our bodies do that help us keep moving and shaking without feeling weighed down, without bad breath, without body odour, and without any stressing or straining. There are definitely things worth straining and stressing over in our world, but poop is not one of them.
Unfortunately, most people are simply not pooping enough. This can be due to several factors, including:
- Low fibre in the diet
- Not making the time
- Lack of movement/exercise
If we're not pooping enough, we can't be optimally healthy.
$700,000,000 is spent every year on laxatives!
Our favourite functional medicine specialist and clinical nutritionist Josh Gitalis is back in the kitchen with us to share his top tips on pooping. In this episode of #MeghanTV, we cover:
- How often we should be pooping
- How to know if we are constipated
- Why pooping is so fundamental to health
- Why laxatives are so dangerous
- The ideal pooping position for optimal elimination
- The key factors for good pooping
- A mineral that many of us are deficient in that can help
- Bonus: Mine and Josh's favourite phrase, said in unison
One of my personal favourites to help get things movin' is a little flaxseed tea.
1 tbsp flax seeds
2 cups of water
1 tbsp chopped ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
- Simmer together for 20 minutes.
- Pour through a strainer and sip.
The simmered flax will create this mucilaginous effect that is incredibly soothing to the digestive tract and helps poop slip right on out.
I am pretty sure no one here is going to want to volunteer their own best remedies to reduce constipation, but if you do -- go for it in the comments below.