It’s been a while since we dove into some kitchen creations so I have this little gem of goodness to offer you. I have made this lemongrass coconut vegetable soup at least once a month for the last six months. The lemongrass makes it feel fancy, the coconut milk adds a touch of rich decadence and random assortment of veggies make it very accessible even if all you have are fridge bits kicking around.
I reignited my passion for lemongrass with my Red Thai Curry and so I consider this recipe a simpler version. It fulfills on all the flavour notes, but you can basically set-it and forget it and it’s ready.
The taste of lemongrass, a super anti-microbial, immune supportive herb, always takes me back to Balenbouche Estate in St. Lucia where I used to run my retreats. The hedges that lined the driveway were lemongrass and every morning fresh brewed lemongrass tea would be ready for us.
At my local market, lemongrass is always sold in bundles of three, and as this recipe calls for just two stalks, I use the third one to make this special tea. Adding a little honey, turmeric and almond milk to the lemongrass tea makes for a power-packed warming elixir that is well worth trying!
This lemongrass coconut soup can be converted into a full meal with the addition of chicken or tofu and is really awesome with some black rice added as well. Make it your own and enjoy.
Lemongrass Coconut Veg Soup (Vegan + Paleo)
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
A simple nut-free, vegan and paleo friendly soup that is full on flavour and light on work!
- 1 Tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 stalks of celery, coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 red pepper, coarsely chopped (reserve quarter cup for garnish)
- 3 cups water
- 2 stalks lemongrass, (cut off the bottom and bruise the stem by bending it or banging with the back of your knife on a cutting board – this helps it to release the flavour)
- 1 can full fat organic coconut milk
- Chili salt or plain sea salt
- Heat oil in your saucepan and lightly saute onion, garlic and ginger. Once fragrant, add carrots, celery, and red pepper (minus the 1/4 cup red pepper reserved for garnish). Let cook together for 5 minutes.
- Add water, lemongrass and coconut milk.
- Let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Once carrots are fork tender and broth is fragrant with lemongrass, remove lemongrass and transfer to a high speed venting blender, or use an immersion to puree until smooth.
- Add chlli salt or plain salt to taste.
- Garnish with chopped red pepper.
- Serve hot.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Soup
One response to “Lemongrass Coconut Veg Soup (Vegan + Paleo)”
Not only did I love this recipe, but my husband did as well. I served it with garlic shrimp on a bed of jasmine rice on the side, and he just dunked everything into the soup bowl. Will go with your suggestion of black rice and chicken next time. Easy, healthy, all-in-one meal. Can’t wait to try your Easy Red Thai Curry. And heartiest congrats on your pregnancy Meghan!