If I could use a season to describe myself, summer would definitely be the one. It’s my favourite time of year – between spending time in nature, hanging out in the sunshine, sipping summer mocktails, and eating a ton of delicious foods like this no-churn easy coconut ice cream, summer is so sweetly awesome. I also appreciate how many of us take time this season to get away from it all – we could all use a little more slowness in life, even if this just means taking a few minutes to rest and enjoy some delicious homemade dairy-free ice cream.
Coconut milk is one of my favourite ingredients. I always have it in my pantry and it’s especially wonderful in dairy-free and vegan ice cream recipes. It’s super thick and creamy, but also offers us a load of health benefits. I delve into coconut milk in more detail in 12 Delicious Ways to Use Coconut Milk, but here’s a quick recap.
Health Benefits of Coconut Milk
- It’s a source of beneficial fats, which helps reduce inflammation, balance blood sugar, keep our skin glowing and our hair and nails healthy, nourish the brain and nervous system, and even help with weight loss
- Contains lauric acid, which has anti-bacterial properties
- It’s easy to absorb and use, which makes it great for digestion, energy and weight loss
- High in magnesium for muscle relaxation
- Source of potassium for fluid balance and heart health
- Contains small amounts of antioxidants
Easy Coconut Ice Cream (No Churning Involved!)
What I love most about this no-churn coconut ice cream is that you don’t need an ice cream maker. All you need are ice cube trays, and either a blender or a food processor. A high-speed blender will yield a very smooth ice cream, but depending on the strength of the motor in your food processor you can get this to soft-serve consistency in there too.
Options to amp up your ice cream:
- Use homemade coconut kefir instead of coconut milk for the extra probiotic benefits.
- Play around by adding extra flavours like raw cacao, maca or lucuma.
- Replace the banana with any summer fruit of your choice.
You can also reserve some of the cubes to add to your summer smoothies or mocktails.Print
Coconut Ice Cream with Chocolate Crackle
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
For the ice cream:
- 1 large banana
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 can full fat organic coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp dried coconut
- 1–2 Tbsp organic vodka, optional (it will lower freezing point and make ice cream smoother)
For the crackle:
- 1/2 cup raw cacao
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cacao butter
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
For the ice cream:
- Place banana, lemon juice and honey in a blender and process until well mashed.
- Add coconut milk, dried coconut and optional vodka and blend.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the ice cream mixture in the fridge.
- Freeze the rest in ice cube trays for 3 or more hours, until frozen.
- Place the cubes into your blender or food processor, add the reserved non-frozen mix and process until smooth.
For the crackle:
- Fill a pot with 2 inches of water and place a stainless steel bowl over top to fashion a double boiler.
- Over medium heat, add all the ingredients to the bowl.
- Stir continuously until the ingredients melt together.
- Drizzle over your favourite ice cream, or dip fruit in it and set the fruit on parchment, and then chill in the fridge.
- The best way to store extra sauce is in ice cube trays. Once solid, pop the cubes out and keep in an airtight container in the freezer. Melt back to liquid as needed. Makes 1 cup.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Category: Dessert
11 Awesome Dairy- and Gluten-free Ice Cream Toppings
Of course, this recipe is completely delicious on its own, but you can also take it to the next level with some delicious toppings.
Dairy-Free Coconut Whipped Cream
Why not top your coconut ice cream with more coconut goodness?GET THE RECIPE
Easy Raspberry Jam
Dollop spoonfuls of sweet jams on top of your ice cream. This recipe works well with most seasonal fruits (don’t use melons!).GET THE RECIPE
Cookies and Cream Cashew Frosting
Add a bit more liquid to this cashew frosting recipe to make it more drizzle-able. A tablespoon or two should do.GET THE RECIPE
Almond Honey Brittle
This brittle is so delicious it might not make it into your ice cream! Set some aside to take your ice cream to the next level.GET THE RECIPE
Chocolate Chia Pudding
Add extra protein, gut-healing fats and fibre to your ice cream treats by spooning some of this chocolate pudding on top.GET THE RECIPE
Hemp Chocolate Spread
Melt this one down for the gooey-ist and healthiest chocolate spread ever.GET THE RECIPE
Rhubarb Butter + Strawberry Rhubarb Butter
One of my favourite ways to make the most of seasonal fruit!GET THE RECIPE
Dairy-Free Lemon Cream Frosting
This one is incredibly drizzle-able and bright and fresh for summer ice cream eating.GET THE RECIPE
Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
Chop them up and sprinkle over your ice cream!GET THE RECIPE
Gluten-Free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Crumble up one of these for an extra treat – my crispy ginger cookies work well for this too.GET THE RECIPE
More Topping Options!
If you want to keep things simpler, try one of these topping ideas:
- A handful of fresh, seasonal fruit (berries are always a good choice)
- A drizzle of maple syrup or honey
- A handful of chopped nuts or seeds
- Cacao nibs
- Goji berries, dates or dried cranberries
- Go a little outside the box with a drizzle of fruity olive oil or a splash of balsamic if you’ve used berries
And don’t forget to eat your ice cream with an attitude of gratitude and celebration. Negative emotions associated with food are very powerful. When we are experiencing anything delicious – something that should be savoured, nourished, indulged in, shared, and celebrated – we must grant ourselves the sweet luxury to rest and digest it all, too.
3 responses to “Easy Dairy-Free Ice Cream Recipe + 11 Awesome Topping Ideas”
For vegans, what do suggest as a substitute for honey in your recipes?
Maple syrup, coconut sugar or coconut syrup.
Just blended the ingredients for the ice cream and it tastes amazing. Can’t wait for it to freeze. I added vodka but I just realized that I have no idea what ingredients are in vodka (Smirnoff) and the bottle doesn’t list the ingredients. What are you thoughts?