Summer is rolling to a gentle close and I am celebrating my favourite season of all by taking some time off-ish. That’s usually how I do it. A little work each day, but mostly maxing and relaxing as I gear up for another busy fall of fun. And this time of sleep-ins and late breakfasts has spawned the absolute best banana pancakes made primarily with chickepea flour.
Chickpea flour, often referred to as garbanzo bean flour, is made from chickpeas. This makes these pancakes grain-free, but also protein powered without needing to grossify your pancake-aroos by adding protein powder to them.
If you care about protein grams and enjoy turning meals into math equations, you might like to know that one cup of chickpea flour works out to about 21 grams of protein. The recipe I have for you today serves two and has a nice little dose of 10 grams of protein per serving right there.
I have slowly but surely begun to embrace chickpea flour as one of my favourites for gluten-free baking. I am not sure I would make it into a cake just yet – the high fiber and protein would make the cake mighty dense, but it is excellent in muffins, cookies, gluten-free pizza crust and, well, these pancakes.
5 Reasons Why Chickpea Flour Is Awesome
- Rich in protein: This will help reduce blood sugar fluctuations and make us feel full longer.
- It bakes up beautifully with a bit of a dry, crispy outer later (pancake perfection!)
- It’s flavour works with both sweet and savoury.
- It’s gluten-free! That always wins with me!
- It’s not too heavy and not too light. Some white rice flours are just too starchy for my liking, while nut meals or coconut flour are very heavy or dry. Chickpea flour is just in the middle!
One more extra little nugget for you with this recipe. I love maple syrup as much as the next Canadian, but it is also mighty sweet. I love melting together maple syrup or honey with either coconut oil or ghee. Bringing that fat in will further reduce effect on blood sugar, cut the sweetness and enhance the flavour. You know how I love extra fat in my breakfast!