For those of you have joined our 21 Days To Health Challenge, no matter where you are at in it, you likely skipped ahead and noticed the bit where you're supposed to cut out caffeine.
Now, before you start asking all kinds of questions about whether caffeine is really so bad for you, I will say YES, yes it is.
- Hormones: Caffeine has a half life of 4-6 hours, which means it is kicking around in there a long time. It affects the functioning of a whole cocktail of hormones including:
- Adenosine- Inhibits absorption of adenosine, a hormone that helps calm the body.
- Adrenaline- Caffeine injects adrenaline into our system, offering a temporary boost, but what goes up, must come down and it can cause us to feel fatigued and depressed later.
- Cortisol- The “stress hormone” associated with weight gain, moodiness and over the long run it has been associated with heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
- Dopamine- Dopamine is a feel good hormone, and caffeine increases its levels in the bod, but once it wears off, we are left feeling rather low, and can also lead to a physical dependance.
- Sleep: Keeps us awake longer, allowing us less time for those all mighty restorative deep sleep cycles.
- Weight: Increased levels of cortisol lead to cravings for caffeine, fat and carbohydrates, and cause the body to store fat in the belly.
- Exercise: If caffeine elevates levels of cortisol and other hormones for a temporary boost, after caffeine wears off, we feel fatigued and feelings of mild to moderate depression can set in.
Now does this mean you have to give up your occasional weekend latte or what have you? No. Not yet at least. You can have that. You just don’t want to have to depend on it.
What if instead of our go to coffee for the pick me up, that may leave us jittery and spinning, we go to a Super Powered Stress Busting Latte instead- that leaves the mind clear and energy naturally elevated simply by using nutrient dense power foods? Kind of novel isn't it?
Novel but so amazingly delicious.
Meghan's Top 9 Stress Kicking Essentials
- Lavender Essential Oil: Aromatherapy at it's very best; try a couple of drops in your bath, your drinking water, rub behind your ear, on your wrists, on your sleep mask, on your pillow, or mixed into your morning latte.
- Castor oil: Massage into your belly with Lavender essential oil to help your body shift into its parasympathetic state- or rest to digest. Promotes healthy diegestion and reduces anxiety.
- Passion Flower: By Now Foods (500 mg) 100 cap bottle - Known as a strong calming herb, it can be supplemented in times of high stress, in the morning, before bed or added to your morning smoothie. Promotes feelings of calm without being sleep inducing.
- Reishi Mushroom Extract or Blend like Peaceful Spirit: The most amazing herbal formula there ever was, that creates a state of calm and relaxation. A proprietary blend of Reishi, asapargus root, licorice and other highly regarded herbs in the Chinese medicine system. This can also be tossed into a morning drink.
- Vitamin C: We store vitamin C in the adrenal glands. During times of stress, we need more to help keep us calm and boost immune function. Vitamin C helps reduce both the physical and psychological effects of stress
- Ocean's Alive Marine Phytoplankton: Rich in amino acids and essential fatty acids, Ocean's Alive keeps your body and mind strong in times of high stress. Add to your drinking water, juices, salad dressings, dips or soups (after cooking).
- Maca Powder: One of the greatest adaptogenic herbs. Helps your mind and body adapt to stress while being very tonifying. Best results when taken over an extended period of time in regular amounts.
- Sleep Mask: There is no greater weapon against the duties and stresses of the day than a good night's sleep. One of the greatest hindrances to us getting this, is ambiant light that can seep in around the crack of a door, through an open window, a blinking computer light or even the dim off an alarm clock. 100% cotton front and black silky soft bamboo back- helps fight stress with a good night's sleep.
- Meditation: Not only have studies proven that meditation boosts immune function from a physiological perspective, but the ability it has to clear your mind instantly, make you feel lighter, freer and calmer is amazing.
3 caps of Peaceful Spirit or 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp Reishi extract
1-2 caps of Passion Flower
1 tsp Buffered Vitamin C Powder
1 Tbs Coconut Oil
2 Tbs hemp seeds
1 dropper Ocean's Alive Marine Phytplankton
1 drop Lavendar Essential Oil
2 cups warm or hot water or fave herbal tea
- Place all ingredients in blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Think happy thoughts.