Written by Josh Gitalis.
$400,000! This is highest price anyone has ever paid for a ginseng root. It was a 300-year-old root that was found in 2007. Some say that ginseng is worth the money. You be the judge.
The proper name of ginseng is Panax Ginseng. Which is really fun to say. Go on... GinSAAAANG.
The word Ginseng is derived from a Chinese term, which means “man root”. Most likely 'cause it resembles the limbs of a person, (out of the gutters ladies). Panax shares the same origin as “panacea” meaning “all heal”.
Put it all together and you get the “all-heal man (and woman!) root”.
There are many different types of ginseng, yet they all have a similar property. They are all adaptogenic- meaning, helps us cope or adapt to whatever may be going on in our lives or in our body.
For example, you might experience an extremely stressful day that leaves you exhausted and depleted (poopershnickled as Meghan would say). But if you take ginseng during the same stressful day, you don’t feel as exhausted by the end. Sold on it yet?
Using ginseng for its adaptogenic effects is just one of many ways in which ginseng can be used medicinally. There are however other uses. Here's my top 10 favourites.
10 Reasons to Take This All Heal (Wo)Man Root:
- Antifatigue (mental and physical) Activity: Endurance increases with the more ginseng taken.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): Lung capacity improves.
- Diabetes: Help stabilize fasting blood sugar. Bonus- it also elevates mood, improves psychological performance, and lowers body weight.
- Nerve cell regeneration: Ginseng enhances cell replication and function of nerve cells- meaning it keeps us young and sprite.
- Immunomodulation: If you’re prone to infection and colds, ginseng boosts the immune system. On the other hand, if your immune system is over active and you have an autoimmune condition, ginseng calms the immune response. Oh nature, you've done it again.
- Anticancer:Promotes the death of both slow-growing and fast-growing tumors.
- Cardiovascular Disease: Ginseng has been shown to reduce serum cholesterol, triglycerides, while raising the good guys (HDL).
- Liver detoxification: Increases liver clearance of harmful chemicals and promotes liver repair.
- Erectile dysfunction: Increases sexual activity and mating behavior in male rats. Need I say more? (Note from Meghan: Booyah!)
- Living to 100 and beyond: Ginseng lengthens the lifespan of cells.
There are various ways to take the herb, and you don’t have to spend $400K to get the good stuff. Although, when it comes to ginseng, you get what you pay for.
Try taking it in tincture form for quick absorption. For ease, you may take capsules. Or, if you want to experience the full flavor and essence of the herb, make it into a tea- just simmer it in hot water for 20 minutes. (Use about 1Tbs of the herb/ 1 cup of water).
The effects of Ginseng are cumulative. Try it for about 3 months to really experience the full benefit of the herb. Remember, It doesn’t work if you don’t take it.
Question Of The Day: Which herbs are you favourites? Which have you always wondered about?
Connect With Our Josh, our Favourite Therapeutic Nutritionist